Monday, November 22, 2010

More Rest

I took Monday and Tuesday off intending to ski on Tuesday. But the weather Tuesday was awful in the mountains with wind gusts above 100mph and I-70 closed with blowing snow so skiing was impossible.

The result Wednesday was one of the best days of interval training I have ever had. I did three threshold intervals of ten minutes at the planned power while maintaining the proper heart rate. My lactic threshold HR is 158 and my HR for these intervals averaged 160. Before I took a break I was struggling to get within 10 watts of intended power and my HR was at about 165.

I also did one set of four one-minute power intervals (AC level in Coggan Power Levels) in the same workout.

I took Thursday off. My TSB on Wednesday was a +11 and on Thursday it was a +3. Those are the first positive readings I have had for a while. I continued to take it easy through the weekend so that I can start this week with a very positive TSB.

I have been studying Joe Friel’s The Cyclist’s Training Bible and trading e-mails with him, studying Tom Chapple’s Base Building for Cyclists, and looking very closely at what Mike Durner had me doing this time of year in 2007. Joe Friel doesn’t explicitly write about ultra-distance cycling and doesn’t coach it (although I know he has a lot of experience with his tri people). Chapple’s book has a lot of ideas for ultra-distance training and it aligns very well with what Mike of Carmichael Training Systems had me doing. All that to say that I have reworked my next four week block based on what Mike had me doing in 2007.

Summary for rest week: Total hours 6.5, 54 miles cycling, TSS=232 and Kcal=2280.

I have posted my training plan for the next four weeks at:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5sTH0-wP2jsNDc1OTI3YzktYzIxZi00Y2I4LWIzMDItNDQ4OTk0NDgzMjA2&hl=en&authkey=CN7CkvYG

If that doesn't work and you want a copy let me know through the Comments.

No comments: