Monday, May 16, 2011

Seven Weeks of Training Left and a Little Panic

Everything is set for the Ridge of the Rockies ride in July. Now to finish training.

As expected last week was a low volume week. The weather was terrible for several days with rain, wind and even some snow. Even the days when it wasn’t raining it was cold. I rode Saturday when it was 38 and damp and just froze descending Lefthand Canyon.

But now I am starting to panic. I only have seven weeks of training left and even though I am where I expected to be I am worried that I won’t make the progress the last seven weeks I need. Snow and weather are big concerns.

I have two three-week training blocks planned with one week of rest between then and one week of tapering. The first block will stay focused on increasing my long ride to ten hours, 120 miles and 10,000 feet of climb. The last three will be focused on making the major climbs (Grand Mesa, Red Mountain, Wolf Creek, and Slumgullon) of the ride in Colorado. All are difficult but except for Red Mountain I have climbed them once. There is a lot of snow in the mountains. Hopefully it will be mostly melted by then.

No time to panic but I am. Must keep to the plan and not over train at this point.

Weekly summary: Hours training 9:45, miles=157, TSS=576, Kcal=4710 climb=7500’.

No comments: