Monday, March 11, 2013

Colorado Rides

Finally made a map of my Colorado rides--from 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012 and the three I will do this year.  There are a lot of limitations in Google Maps when you get a lot of data on a map so I had to drop data.  For example, I had plotted every major climb on this map but then Google Maps wants to put some of the data on one map and some on another--and it decides in a nonsensical way what goes on each map.

While I haven't rode all the routes in Colorado, by the end of the summer I will have done nearly to 2,500 miles of mountain roads (not calculating in the duplicate legs).  And there are lots of routes duplicated in these rides of necessity.  For example, Leadville is a major link if you are going to cross I-70 (either Fremont Pass or Tennessee Pass).  Highway 50 is almost always part of a ride going primarily east and west as is Hwy 160 in the south through Durango, Pagosa Springs or Alamosa.

Still there is one area not covered in these rides--the Million Dollar Highway through Ouray and over Red Mountain.

Maybe next year or maybe even as part of my training for this year.