Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Week 3 of Base--Low Intensity

Week 3 of base 1 was planned to be low intensity and I kept to plan although I did ride more than expected.  I rode two, two-hour endurance rides, one three-hour endurance ride, and one 30 minute recover ride.  In addition I ran, lifted, an hour of Pilate's, and skied for a few hours.

Overall I rode 140 miles, trained for 11 hours, had a TSS of 431 and burned 4800 Kcal.

I started looking at measures Joe Freil says are important measures of aerobic endurance; namely watts/hrt and decoupling.  I looked at my watts/hrt for endurance rides going two hours or more and found the ratio to be consistently 1.0x.  I don't have a frame of reference but I gut says that isn't very good.  I know from looking at shorter rides the ratio is higher (obviously I can't keep a 1 to 1 ratio and do a FTP at 250!).

More research required.

As for decoupling which is the ratio of watts/hrt in hour one compared to hour 2:  I have done the calculations but it is obvious that my heart rate in the second hour is higher and the power lower than in the first.  And by too much.

All says I need a long aerobic base period and fortunately I have the time.

No comments: