Monday, February 10, 2014

Snowy and Cold February

February is off to a tough start for cycling.  It has snowed here in Boulder at least half the days, been below -10 for a few days, and the roads are an icy, sandy mess.  Then I had house guests for four days and while they really do nothing to interfere with riding they still do.

Despite the weather and guests I finished the early base phase of training and began mid base phase.

The no-wiggle-room goal for early base was to get the coupling of two 30-min level-2 below 5%.  I have been below that for a week or so but finished Sunday (2-9) at 1.7%.  But my output/input (normalized power/average heart rate) is too low.

Which brings me to another issue.  I am in the process of shifting my training software from TrainingPeaks WKO+.  They maybe the gold standard in training software functionality but they fall way short in the delivery of a software product and their costs for their on-line software is outrageous.  The fact that they don't have a Mac version and have been promising one since last summer is the final strike.  I am shifting to Golden Cheetah which has everything I, as a self coached cyclists, need.  And the documentation is far better.

My challenge now is to plan out my mid base phase assuming I will be trapped on a trainer a lot.  I know I need to keep working on my aerobic endurance which means longer rides in level 2 and probably at the upper end of level 2.  I also need to increase my VO workouts.  I am just not sure what to do.  And that output/input ratio has to be addressed.

And time is running out.

Ride the Rockies posted the 2014 route Sunday and I immediately signed up.  Unfortunately it is a lottery and I assume I have about a 50-50 chance of getting a slot.  The ride starts in Boulder and goes up Boulder Canyon then over to Black Hawk and then over Berthoud Pass to Winter Park--day one.  The climb up Boulder Canyon will be a shock as it starts right away, goes for some 20 miles and has some long stretches of 10%.  There are other challenging days--look it up and sign up.


No comments: