Tuesday, May 6, 2014

April Summary; Second Build

April was a strong month although not as strong as I would have liked.

Total mileage in April was 742 miles and total Kcal was over 20,000.  Training time was 47 hours.  Large numbers and better than last year but not as good as 2012 when I was getting ready for the Eastern Mountain Tour (EMT) (http://www.pactour.com/emt.html).  TSS is about 300 less this year than in 2012.

All this tells me that my training is not as intense as it was getting ready for the EMT.  Offsetting the difference in intensity is that for the most part I am stronger than I was then.  If I was an experienced coach I could make a fuller assessment but I am reasonable happy with where I am.

That said, I am probably not going to do the Ridge of the Rockies in September.  While I am riding stronger I am concerned that my recovery won't be good enough.  I did a 7 hr ride in the wind last week and it crushed me.  That is pretty much a normal day on PAC.

This is the second week of the second build.  I will do more climbing and another 7-hour ride, life permitting.  Then a lighter (but not light week) week followed by two more weeks of build with the long ride up to 8 hours.

Ride the Rockies (RTR) is only a month away.  I really could use another couple of weeks.

No comments: