Monday, February 15, 2016

Training for an Ironman at 67--Swimming

It is seventeen weeks until the Boulder Half Ironman (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike and 13.1 mile run).  This week is an overload week meaning I am doing significantly more training than usual (totaling about 15 hours) and then will back off a lot as I get ready for a half marathon next weekend. 

As part of the training I went to the Colorado University Sports Medicine Department and specifically to the Swim Lab for help with my swimming.  It is an amazing facility.  I swam in a continuous pool with cameras above and to each side with mirrors on the bottom.  That configuration allows the instructor to film you swimming and then do a slow-motion analysis of every aspect of your swim and compare that aspect to how real swimmers do it. 

My instructor is Chloe Sutton, 2-time Olympian and 5-time national champion in pool and open water swimming.  She is very patient with me and I need her to be.  I can’t imagine how I managed to muscle my way around the 2.4-mile Ironman swim.  I swim TERRIBILY.  I am embarrassed by what the film shows and promise you it will never, ever be posted on FB.


Now it is back to basics fixing everything about my swim. 

No comments: