Sunday, June 19, 2016

Training for an Ironman at 68--Recovering and Replanning

Nine days after I stepped off a ladder and wrecked my season my left leg is still heavily bruised from below my knee to above the groin.  It looks very nasty.

It is clear that I can't make a July race.  There is another Olympic distance tri in August that I hope to make if I can get a couple of things improved.

First, I have to lose some weight.  I finished last season feeling that I was five pounds over weight.  Well, actually I was at least seven pounds over training weight and probably twelve pounds over racing weight.  I planned on losing that five pounds over the fall.

Well, that more than didn't happen.  I managed to gain five pounds and then with this injury and some family events I am probably up eight pounds!  That means I am at least fifteen pounds above what I consider training weight.

I must focus on reducing weight--actually body fat--or I just won't be able to accomplish what I want to do.

Second, I have to get more comfortable with open water swimming.  I know I am not the only one that finds open water swimming intimidating.  But I need to get comfortable with the open water and distance so that the only thing that scares me is the pack start.

So instead of concentrating on getting ready for a race this year, I am going to focus on getting ready for races next year.

No comments: