Monday, August 15, 2016

Training for an Ironman at 68--Poor Start

 A while back I ran into my neighbor who did two full Ironman races last year.  She is impressive because she has diabetes and races with the group “Running on Insulin”.   I asked her what she was racing this year and she said, “Nothing.  This year I am eating pizza and donuts.”

That’s how I feel right now.  With a case of Achilles tendinitis I have had to reduce my weekly running mileage to 18 and with a chest cold I have had to limit cycling and swimming.   With the next Ironman at least 42 weeks away (not sure which race I will do next summer) it is really hard to motivate myself to train and diet hard. 


In fact, I did a pretty poor job at both this week.  To paraphrase an IT phase, “How do you train for a year and not be ready to race?  One day at a time.”

No comments: