Sunday, October 16, 2016

Training for triathlons at 68--Decisions and Commitments

Some racing decisions and commitments were made this week. April 2017 is a critical month if I were to race the Boulder Ironman on June 11th. I should be race-ready by the end of April. But it became clear this week that I have other obligations in April that will keep me from doing all the training necessary. And it is a $740 non-refundable entrance fee. So the Boulder Ironman is out.
What I plan on doing is two Olympic distance races in June and July (1500 meter swim--about 0.9 miles, 25 mile bike, and a 10K--6.2 miles--run). Then the Boulder Half Ironman in August (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run). With maybe a full Ironman in the fall. Maybe.
I have registered for the Half Ironman (i.e. they have my non-refundable registration fee).
I have also committed to a week of 70-100 mile rides south of Tucson the first of March. That block of rides should get me race ready for cycling.http://www.pactour.com/desertcamp.html#Firstcentury
It was a heavy workout week and I didn't complete all of it especially the swimming. Had a second session with my PT and got more needles poked into my heels and Achilles and this time he found some real hot spots. WOW. Next week will be adjusted based on this week and the introduction of more high intensity workouts.

No comments: